quarta-feira, 28 de julho de 2010

7 meanings of "make up"


Hi Everyone!

Today I´m going to post about one of my favorite phrasal verbs- MAKE UP.
Most of you probably know that make up is a synonym for cosmetics, right?
How about the other 6 meanings?

here they are

1. MAKE UP- APPLY COSMETICS
Lady Gaga is always heavily made up.
I always make up before going to parties

So, as you can see, there´s also the VERB, to make up

2. Who made up the lightning rod??????
Hmmm.....
Benjamin Franklin made it up!
So, in this second case, to make up means to invent, to create.
Other examples:
Whereas some students make up some very lousy excuses for not doing the homework, others are very convincing!

3. make up FOR
it´s very important not to forget the preposition FOR here.
To make up FOR is to compensate.
For example,
My teacher has many problems, but her strengths make up for her weaknesses.

When you make a serious mistake, you can apologize to the person you have injured and promise that you will make up for your error.
Also, at college, a make up exam is not an exam that will cover lipstick or blush or eye shadows; it is an exam you take in case you missed the official one!

4. make up WITH
After the fight, it took me a week to make up WITH my brother.
This means, to reconcile, to make peace, to bury the hatchet, raise the white flag.
Still, even though sometimes you have already have made up with someone, you can still hold a grudge against him or her.

5. make up OF
Water is made up of oxygen and hydrogen.
Here, make up means "composed by".

6. When you go to hotels, you can see a little thing hanging around the door knob saying,
"please, do not disturb" or "make up the room"-which means to organize, to clean.

7. Make up your mind
"Should I have a cappucino from Koppenhagen or a frappucino from Starbucks??? I really need to make up my mind!"
This means that I need to decide which one I´m going to buy.

As you can see, "make up" is full of meanings.... The way to memorize them is to practice them and pay attention to movies and sitcoms, they appear all the time!

Cheers!

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário